The Quilt Index is an online research and reference tool designed to provide
unprecedented access to contextual information and images of quilts held
in private and public collections. It is a joint project of The Quilt Alliance, MATRIX: The Center for Humane Arts, Letters and Social
Sciences Online at Michigan State University and the Michigan State University
Museum in collaboration with an array of individual and institutional
Included in the Quilt Index are:
* images and information on privately held quilts compiled by
state and regional quilt documentation projects in the United States
* images and information on quilts in museums, libraries, and
* images and information on quilt-related ephemera;
* lesson plans, online exhibits, journals and essays;
* bibliographies of secondary materials relevant to quilt study; and
* finding aids developed to assist researchers with locating
hard-to-find quilt-related primary and secondary materials in public collections.
The Quilt Index represents years of research and development to bring
together quilt information in a centralized online tool for education, research,
and public access.
The first collections included in the INDEX were quilt documentation projects
in Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan and Illinois.
Quilts of Tennesse Documentation Days
Photos by Jan Willkins
Enter the Quilt Index